Saturday, December 13, 2008

Miriam's Potaje de Lentejas (Meriams Lentil Stew)

This is the BEST Cuban lentil stew I have had! I made this lentil stew this week on Dec. 8th then I made it again today Dec. 13th haha because it was that good to me. I am not posting the recipe because it is not mine and I have not asked for permission to post it.

It has a slow cooked, smokey meaty flavor and is gauranteed to stimulate the taste buds, it's like an "umami" sensation bomb.

I got the recipe for this lentil stew from a blog called "Cuban Home Cooking Keeping the Tradition Alive" this blog once a month show cases a Cuban recipe cooked by a Cuban friend or relative. I will tell you this I think out of everyone thus far Miriam is one of the best cooks who has appeared on the blog. Her recipe for "Croquettas de Jamon" (Ham Croquettes) looks devine and I am looking forward to making it in the near future.

I am not posting the recipe because I didn't ask for permission or anything like that, BUT STILL I don't want to be stingy and not share this wonderful recipe find so I URGE anyone who wants something delicious and simple to make this.

You'll love it, from the list of ingredients you'rr know you can't go wrong (common honestly it has "Sazon Goya", Spanish Chorizo, Smoked Ham Shank, Bouillon, and the holy sofrito stuff like onion, garlic, bell pepper, and olive oil there is no way in hell this can come out bad and with all that it's gauranteed success, just don't over do the salt)

SO HERE IS THE RECIPE LINK GO CHECK IT OUT! Try it!:

http://cubanfood.blogspot.com/2008/10/miriams-potaje-de-lentejas-lentil-soup.html

6 comments:

Hilda said...

Hi Nathan! We're so glad you enoyed the delicious lentejas. We've told Miairam about your comments and she's thrilled! She's told all her friends!

I have to tell you your Blog really is wonderful. I wish we had the time to dedicate to ours like you do, but a little is better than none at all, right?

Keep checking the Blog, we're coordinating the stuff for next year.

Have a wonderful holiday season!

Anonymous said...

Hey...you can also add a few split cherry tomatoes and little cubes of calabaza criolla (or a reasonable yellow facsimile). Sometimes I cook some 'judias' (white beans) ahead of time and add it to the lentils. A sprig of 'culantro' at the end (sounds funny, I know, but that't the term used in Cuba for cilantro). Also, I don't like celery much, but sometimes I will use it in bean soups along with carrots as part of the essential sofrito of onions, peppers, and garlic. Nutritious and delicious.

Nathan said...

Hilda,
Glad you like my blog :D looking forward to next year.

Mamey,
I thouhgt Culantro was like a long flat leaf like a different member of the Cilantro family? Haha it does sound funny. LOL. at the "Happy face" made with Calabaza and tomato.

Ah yes celery and carrot with onion, garlic, and bell pepper I heard that sofrito is very popular in Louisina cajun and creole cooking. Very nutritious and delicious indeed.

Nathan said...

Hilda,
And yes a little is better than none at all :) your posts are of very high quality :)

Núria said...

Chico, these lentils look like my lentil stew. I'm going now to this Cuban blog to see the ingredients and how they do it :D. Thanks for sharing!

I could also eat lentil 3 times a week ;D

I loved when you said... holy sofrito, he, he!

Nathan said...

Nuria,
I eat legumes (different kinds or repeat them several times) everyday haha, I love beans have you heard this one, "Beans beans they're good for your heart the more you eat the more you fart" haha. Yup the "holy" sofrito haha it's what gives almost all Cuban dishes the distinct wonderful flavor as well as some Spanish dishes. Some other day I will post my grandmothers recipe for lentils.