Friday, November 21, 2008

Ruedas de Camote Frito (Fried Sweet Potato Rounds)

Title is explains most of it. This is a very simple dish my grandmother makes with either regular "Camote" (orange fleshed sweet potato) or "Boniato" (cuban white sweet potato), more often than not we use "Camote" (orange fleshed sweet potato) because it is very abundant in the USA and popular, right now in late November the price dropped to 7 lbs. for 99 cents US. Sometimes it drops to 10 lbs for 99 cents US. So I take advantage and buy tons of them (about 40 pounds) we can eat through them fast and know how to prepare them in many ways (both healthy and unhealthy)

Ingredients"
-Sweet Potato (washed very well, NOT peeled, cut into 1/4 inch rounds)
-salt to taste or sugar (depends see note)
-oil to deep-fry (I use canola oil, other good choices I like are sunflower oil and peanut oil)

Directions:
(1)Heat oil on medium high heat for about 5 minutes, when hot enough fry the sweet potato in small batches, in one layer, each one fry's for about 5-7 minutes per side until they are lighter in color and lightly browned.



(2)Afterwards set in a plate with papertowels to drain and sprinkle with salt while hot, or sugar.

PLEASE NOTE:
(1)If we are eating them as appetizers for dinner we sprinkle some salt on them, if we want it as a snack or dessert usually we dust them in regular white sugar.

(2)
These are not suppose to be crisp and dry, they are firm, but soft when you bite into them, the peel is left on to let it hold it's shape, when eating after cooked you have the option to either eat the peel, or remove when eating with your hands easily :)

2 comments:

FOODalogue said...

Looks yummy. I've had boniato mash at some of the nuevo cubano restaurants in Miami and loved it.

Nathan said...

Foodalogue,
I have never tried "Nuevo Cubano food" usually for Cuban food I always eat at home unless it's a special treat I don't wanna slave over in my kitchen sometimes I like to go to Cuban Restaruants and guess how they made something and re-create it though most Cuban dishes available on menu's I can make since they are pretty typical mainstream dishes. I wanna go to Versailles in CA and see what makes their "Mojo" I hear about so special.

Mmm... Boniato is good so many ways it adds a good contrast with "Bacalao a la Vizcaina" or "Aporreado de Bacalao", I like it steamed, peeled served with Mojo de Ajo, and also in a dessert called "Boniatillo"